Wednesday 8 August 2007

Anna Stylianidou - Texturing for animated short

Hello everyone.

Thank you Alwyn for the opportunity to advice us, it is greatly appreciated!
My project is not focusing so much on modeling and texturing but i hope to create an interesting visual style that would push the animation and story.
To give you an idea of the story and pacing, this is my rough animation/block test so far - in boring lambert shaders and with camera headlight.


You can have a look at how the project has progressed and someof my previous work on my personal blog http://annamations.animationblogspot.com/


Some early texturing tests of the octopus and room, using watercolour textures:
Not really pleased with any of these, bit too intense. I may possibly keep the ink-outline on the lens if it suits the final look.

Re-evaluated colour concept:






Background colours and patterns are muted, the octopus stands out more and has a less fleshy colour.

Boy texturing development:

From Lambert boy to Baked AmbOc boy,

I used the Ambient Occlusion render maps by applying artistic filters in Photoshop to give that drawn feel - since painting them myself didnt look great.

(UVs unwrapped with the beautiful help of Roadkill)


I think its finally getting there! (hmm except the soles and laces that dont seem to show up with the texture i gave them..) Any feedback is greatly welcome!

Thanks


Anna

1 comment:

Alwyn said...

Hi Anna,

As simple as the textures maybe, I'm liking the stylized look that you've created with the boy. I agree that the octopus is looking to little to intense, and there a few obvious seams on his legs.

Are you planning on running this look for all the props in your short?

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers
a~