Tuesday 7 August 2007

Dan Moore Texture Intro!

Hi Alweyn,

Again, many thanks for taking the time out to advise us on all things textured.

My project this term is a "straight forward" human character which will be placed in a scene with my "Chopper Dog" model that i completed last term. The human is supposed to be an old biker mechanic who has created the "Choppper Dog" as both a means of self protection and for companionship.

At presant I am just finishing off the man's base mesh and will then be taking it into ZBrush to add in further wrinkles and skin details and then hope to use painted image to give the character his colour. To this end I have been collecting reference images of men in the character's age range and also I have have been watching a few ZBrush tutorials which deal with characters with leathery, wrinkly skin.

To give you some idea of the kind of skin texture I am after.






Previous work:

During the course I have been involved in a couple of projects in which I have been able to focus on the modelling and texturing aspects. In my group project, made with 2 others from my course, I did a large portion of the modelling and pretty much all of the texturing. The piece itself can be blow:



My last term major project was to model and texture a robotic dog made from bits of motorbike (or bits that looked a bit motorbike-ish anyway). Apologies if the music is a bit loud.



Prevoius to coming on the course I took a BA in Industrial Design and then worked for 3-4 years as a Creative Designer for the Retail Industry.

Some of my old work can be found on my very old and out of date website:

www.danmoore3d.com

and also on my blog which i am still trying to clear the back log of stuff that i haven't got around to posting:

http://workofdan.blogspot.com/

Anyway, many thanks once more.


Dan Moore

1 comment:

Alwyn said...

Hi Dan

I'm amazed at how organized and well round you guys are. I wish I had been that disciplined, back when I was studying.

The chopper dog looks cool and I'm guessing the man is going to be somewhat stylized or are you going for realisim.

How were you planning on applying the skin texture, using a sss ahader?

The only thing I would say, is that if you wanted to have a realistic looking head with all the fine details, then use a really high (4k) res image. You could resize that image and use it in Zbrush as a template for pulling out the detail,

I told Phil that www.3d.sk, have great high res human images, of all shapes, sizes and ages. We use there site all the time for sourcing skin textures.
If you haven't already got something and find something in there that you like, give me a shout and I can grab it for you.


Cheers
a~